- 125ml/4½fl oz milk
- 125ml/4½fl oz double cream
- 2-3 drops vanilla essence
- 4 free-range eggs
- 170g/6oz caster sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 30g/1oz butter
- 500g/1lb 2oz plums, cut in half, stones removed
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 30g/1oz flaked almonds (optional)
- icing sugar, for dusting
- double cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Pour the milk, cream and vanilla into a pan and boil for a minute. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Tip the eggs and sugar into a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. Fold the flour into the mixture, a little at a time.
- Pour the cooled milk and cream onto the egg and sugar mixture, whisking lightly. Set aside.
- Place a little butter into an ovenproof dish and heat in the oven until foaming. Add the plums and brown sugar and bake for 5 minutes, then pour the batter into the dish and scatter with flaked almonds, if using.
- Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes, until golden-brown and set but still light and soft inside.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately with cream.